MAKING HEDGEROW JUMBLE JAM & BRAMBLE MADEIRA CAKE September 29 2019
Autumn is my favourite time of year & while I'm out walking in the countryside I love to collect natural ingredients & try out traditional seasonal recipes - adding my own little twist. Blackberries, apples & damsons are plentiful at this time of this year & if you'd like to give them a try, these simple recipes will fill your home with the softly spiced scent of autumn.
HEDGEROW JUMBLE JAM
You will need:
900g prepared mixed fruit (e.g. blackberries, damsons, apples), 900g sugar, zest & juice of 3 oranges, 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1. Place all ingredients into a large pan & boil gently for approximately 1/2 hour
2. Cover & leave to cool completely, then add a little water &/or re-cook until the desired consistency is reached
3. Allow the jam to cool slightly, before transferring into clean sterilized jars
This jam is delicious served on hot buttered toast, muffins or crumpets, it also makes a glorious filling for jam tarts.
BRAMBLE & ALMOND MADEIRA CAKE
You will need:
250g butter, 250g sugar, 250g flour, 4 eggs,1 teaspoon baking powder, 250g blackberries, 150g flaked almonds, 1 teaspoon almond extract, milk to mix, a few extra blackberries & almonds to decorate
1. Cream butter & sugar, add eggs, flour, baking powder, almond extract & almonds & mix well
2. Dust blackberries with a little flour & fold gently into the cake mixture
2. Transfer mixture into a greased & lined cake tin & sprinkle the top with extra blackberries & almonds
3. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170C for 40-50 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown & a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
4. Leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack, dust with icing sugar & garnish with extra blackberries
Simply enjoy with a cup of tea, or serve as a seasonal autumn pudding warmed with pouring cream.
That's all for now, thank you for reading.